As we grow up, we see our parents as fulfilling that one role only. But if we take the time to ask questions, we can discover fascinating details about the life they lived before we came onto the scene. Here are some ideas to help you capture Dad's legacy as well as show him how much you care about him.
- Ask about his hometown. Each city or town has its own little quirks. Did Dad love the neighborhood he grew up in or was he glad when he was old enough to move where he wanted?
- Find out how he met and pursued your Mom. By the time you were around, it was a done deal. But how did Dad sweep Mom off her feet? The story is probably cuter than you think.
- Talk about what kinds of jobs he had. You might just know him as a retired engineer or other professional. Ask him what jobs he did as a young person before he got his career started.
- What kind of student was he in school? Even if your Dad was a strict disciplinarian when you were growing up, he probably did a little clowning when he was a kid.
- Inquire about the people who made a big impression on him. Did he have a math teacher that wouldn't give up on him? Or maybe he admired the way his parents interacted. Somewhere along the way, someone had a lasting effect.
There is so much more you can talk about. But these few suggestions will definitely open the way for discussion.
At Caring Senior Service, our expert staff is comprised of extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and trusted professionals who take pride in helping your loved one manage their daily activities. Contact us today to learn more!